The Divine Dream !
Anyone familiar with Kolkata would surely be aware of the Maniktalla Jain Temples. Fondly known as the Parasnath Temple, the cluster of four Jain temples is frequented by tourists and devotees alike with the local Bengali community also worshipping the Jain “thakur” (god). Right in the middle of the Maniktalla locality, lies an oasis in the midst of the concrete jungle. The most beautiful of the four temples is dedicated to Shri Shitalnath Bhagwan and was built by Rai Bahadoor Badridas Mookim in 1867. Today, the temple bears the testimony of how devotion can create wonders. The magnificient temple of Shitalnath Bhagwan The presiding lord: Shri Shitalnath Bhagwan Badridas Mookim was a descendent of Bhama Shah, the financer and a minister in the court of Rana Pratap of Mewar. His father, Kalkadas Mookim was the official jeweler to Nawab Wajid Ali Shah in Lucknow. However, Badridas migrated from Lucknow to Calcutta after the decline of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah. He establi